Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Can Media Regain Public Trust?

The question at hand is “Can Media Regain Public Trust”? When I read these articles I tend to read the summary then the postscript and then go back through the article. I think this is helpful because it can help you make your case for or against a certain side. Doing this also makes it easier to pick out inconsistencies in the stories.

I found that the postscript didn’t so much summarize what the two articles had to say; rather it gave new factual information about normative theory and social responsibility theory of the press. One phrase that I have heard time and time again is, “with rights come obligations” (172). The book asked us how we think the current media system does at fulfilling these goals. It is my belief that the media has an obligation to bring the community the truth, but also what they want which don’t necessarily contradict one another but they sometimes hinder the ability for the media to be well rounded.

This brings us to my opinion of Schudson’s article. I found humor in Schudson’s article because his efforts were not so much directed at the main question, “Can Media Regain Public Trust?” rather he proved to us that the media remains “unlovable.” He does this purposely. I think he brings up a great point when it is mentioned that journalists, “get in the face of power” (151). This is done, or so he says to basically keep democracy from facing great danger. I agree that the press being “unlovable” does enable the media to be more effective.

I think when it comes to the press; personally I know I have selective hearing. Sometimes, to be honest they are my own biases that stand in the way of me gaining knowledge of current news, (I’m only human though). But hey, all I can do is try and remind myself to be objective. I believe because of ethics, codes and so forth that the news should bring us up to speed with real facts and figures but occasionally I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment